Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Travel Advice and Goodies

Normally, tourists are a great source of amusement to me. They end up in my neighborhood and always seem to think the French Quarter is just around the corner. They look for intersections of parallel streets (drive all you want but you ain’t ever gonna run into Baronne if you stay on St. Charles). I send them on little tours of my own. Shopping on Magazine or Oak, Art at Big Top and Haiku, neckbones and rice at the Brown Derby. Many times they remark that they’ve heard such negative things about New Orleans and gush about how nice I was and informative. I never have the heart to tell them I’m not from New Orleans.

Today, my tolerance for ignorance wasn’t at its best. Seriously, if you are visiting a new city – BUY A MAP! You can always get a good map with points of interest for any city for under $10. And don’t argue with the residents- you know, the people who LIVE there! A lady asked me “How do I get to the Garden District?” Uh, is this a trick question? You’re in it. I ask what in particular was she looking for. “Oh just pretty stuff.” OPEN your eyes. I suggest that she walk down Prytania to the Cemetery. The walk is beautiful as is the cemetery. She was horrified and looked at me as if I suggested she eat monkey brains. “Why on earth would I want to go there?” Okay Lady, whatever. Next time you ask for suggestions, don’t ask the GOTH. What did you think I was going to say? Aunt Edna’s Tea Room & Inspirational Bookstore?
pencils01









pencils02After work today I had to run over to National Art and Hobby. They didn’t have what I was looking for but I love driving down Magazine, potholes and all. Then I went to the new Borders. That’s a whole other post. I swore I’d NEVER go there. But my love of books overrode my outrage over the rape of a historic building.





sketchbookYes, I am ashamed of myself. Sort of. I didn’t find any of the books I was looking for but I found some other goodies. I lucked upon a large hardbound 250 page sketchbook – with 100% recycled paper no less. And for only $7.99. And I got the cutest little set of colored pencils EVER. They fit in a CD case. They had some of the most beautiful blank books I think I’ve ever seen. I didn’t buy one but boy, did I want to!


prettybooks01







roses01
I headed home and to the grocery store. I always scan the floral case looking for black Calla lilies. They had some once. I didn’t buy them and of course, they’ve never had them again. Today huge roses jumped out at me. They were gigantic! I cupped one bloom in my hand and snapped a picture with my phone. They smelled divine too. And I didn’t buy them. I really piss myself off sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment